After the First World War, Guben thought about a dignified tribute to the fallen from the town. Associations, trades, companies and schools mostly dedicated memorial plaques and smaller monuments to their war dead, most of which are no longer preserved.
the war honour
In the late summer of 1924, Otto Erdmann, a building and government councillor who had been working in Guben since 1906, submitted a design to the church bodies for a war memorial in the town and main church. This was to consist of a coloured glass window and the name plaques of the fallen in the chapel.
On 3 April 1927, the war memorial for 865 fallen who were registered at the town and main church was inaugurated by the then Superintendent Mueller-Schlomka. The names were arranged alphabetically and by year on a total of 10 plaques. In the stained glass window above, the rising Saviour was depicted, framed by two angels of peace. It was made by the Linnemann company in Frankfurt am Main, which had already produced another coloured glass window for the church.
The war memorial was located in the eastern part of the church, to the right of the altar. The stained glass window together with the tribute were destroyed in the battles for the city of Guben in 1945. However, the colour design of the niche can still be recognised quite well.
WIR SUCHEN STÄNDIG
Fotos, Negative, Zeichnungen, Urkunden, Dokumente, Filme, Zeitzeugen, Unterstützer, Aktive